[prssr-devel-ml] Re: Future of pRSSreader

  • From: Joerg <prss-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 10:32:01 +0100

Hello,

nice to hear from you, especially the personal good luck :)

I'm now using 1.4.0.1 and think it's quite nice, some features needed
getting used to, but so far... I really like the caching, up until now I
implemented this on my server, so it was caching the feeds I read for me on
a regular basis. But as it is neither trivial nor failure proof I really
welcome the addition to pRSSreader. Next best thing to sliced bread is the
speed with which pRSSreader works now - without (obvious) caching, the feeds
still load amazingly fast when they are read from the "disk".

However, I've found some minor issues, but as I'm not sure, whether you want
to hear them, I'll just throw everything together in this one mail.

* When viewing any item (message), pressing the center D-Pad button (center
button on my navigation pad) will bring up the Pocket IE, but without any
page being loaded (the previously loaded site will remain there). I was
expecting it would close the current message as it did in the 1.3.x versions
or maybe open the online message. Both versions open the selected item when
I press this button.

* Is there any way to revert to the old way of item movement (i.e. pressing
"down" at the end of the shown message will do nothing instead of moving to
the next one)? I noticed the registry structure is quite different too, so
I'm left wondering where the old registry key might be placed now or if it
is implemented at all.

* I can not copy any error message to the clipboard. Although the items
offer "copy" and "cut", I cannot paste anything in any application (Notes,
any other app with a text field). I'm not entirely certain as to why this
happens.

* After downloading the feed contents, it (presumably) fetches images with
the message "jmeno souboru" - am I guessing correctly?

Some suggestions:
* It would be great if it were possible to get more detailed errors
(possibly when copying them to the clipboard?) than "Invalid feed file". I
love that the new message (probably) represent the real error better than in
the old version, but I'm currently not at home, so some of the new errors
I'm seeing might be caused by the unstable internet connection I'm using here.

* It would be great to have an indication (or a column) in the new "Update
feeds" view, that shows how long ago a feed was successfully updated (say
<1h, 1h, 2h, ..., 1d, 2d, ...)

That's it from my nagging self, you've done a real good job with pRSSreader!

Best regards,
Jörg