[prssr-devel-ml] Future of pRSSreader

  • From: David Andrs <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml <prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:14:28 -0600

Hi again!

I'd like to say some word about the future of pRSSreader.

pRSSreader started as very little application and turn into quite
powerful RSS reader. At the very beginning, I did not expect in such
development. Nowadays, it is quite (or very) popular RSS reader for PPC.

From January, I have got a job, which takes me a lot of my time, so I
can not work on prssr as much as I would like to (comparing to the early
phases of development). So the development is now very very slow ;-(

I was thinking about opening the source code, but I'm afraid that
leading such the project requires much more time than a one-man hobby
project, thus prssr will remain close sourced one-man hobby project.

Now some good news :)

During the summer I had quite a lot of free time comparing to the
beginning of the year and I started to develop 1.4.0 version. I have a
very development version in my PDA and it is quite stable - it is very
simple, but it does not have all the features as 1.3.4 (obviously). It
is usable for basic things like update and reading news (this is what
one requires from RSS reader :-) It brings some simplifications in GUI
and I hope also in the use. The code is heavily based on 1.3.x - it is
tested, so why not to reuse it, right? :)

If you are interested in 1.4.0, you can get it on
http://pda.jasnapaka.com/prssr/beta/

Current version is 1.4.0.1. It requires complete uninstall of 1.3.x -
search the archive how to do it if you have troubles with it. The
storage of feeds is completely different than in 1.3.x - should be
better and faster. My plan is to release incremental development
versions (the last number in version will distinguish increments).
Everything will go through this archive. Take in account that prssr is
not the only thing that I do for now.

If you miss your favorite feature, that is because it is not yet
implemented. Be patient with me, or get back to 1.3.4. It is up to you :-)

I do not plan to support 1.3.x in future, because I have no time for this.

Hope this explains more or less the summer silence of me :)

Best regards,