[prssr-devel-ml] Re: Feature Request (again?)

  • From: Joerg <prss-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:03:12 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)

[Initial Landscape Mode]
Found a few minutes before lunch, fixes were made and included in 1.3.3.
Hooraaay :)

Features are implemented (from the highest priorities to lowest):
*grin*

- A background service which will do periodical updates (pRSSreader wont
have to run and news will be downloaded to the device). The service will
also handle cradling, so the today plugin wont have to be active.

My two cents on that: I'm note entirely certain, but wouldn't it be possible to leave this code in the today plugin, but include an option (or create an invisible "Today Background Plugin") that disables viewing the GUI in the today screen? This would reduce the number of background processes (and thus memory usage) for people running both, the today plugin and the background service. My understanding is, that (aside from the GUI) the parser interface for the feeds is the "heaviest" part (wrt. size).
Also, adding the background service to the today plugin and allowing the plugin to be invisible would eliminate the need for device autostart fiddling. (Disclosure: I usually have the today plugin turned off - space there is already scarce and I don't really care what/how many new feed items exist, unless I have the time to actually read them. And for some reason I can't get my PDA to sync with the new computer.)

So, please, be patient ;)
Sure, keep up the good work! It's already a great program right now.

Regards,
Jörg