[prssr-devel-ml] Re: Crashes with pRSSreader 1.3.2

  • From: David Andrs <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:10:38 +0200

Hi!

Sander Alberink wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Unfortunately, I have to report several issues and problems with the
> current
> beta. These are all related to stability and unfortunately make using the
> program very, very tedious. Hopefully I can help out with producing enough
> info to replicate the issues.
>

>   1. Crashes when viewing a feed.
>   this is something which doesn't happen at every feed. I can click a
>   story, it will show for about 3-4 seconds and then the program
> crashes, just
>   quits. If I click a feed that has this issue and open a story, then
>   immediately close the story again, it wil still crash after said 3-4
> seconds
Which feeds cause this? Provide me with their URLs, please.

>   2. crash when configuring sites
>   when accessing the site manager to prune some feeds, sometimes it will
>   bomb out after i removed some feeds.
I know about this and working on fix. Thanks for reporting.

>   3. obscured progress bar
>   The first time I do an update of my feeds, the progress bar is mostly
>   obscured by the menu bar. Selecting an article and closing it again fixes
>   this.
Could you make a screenshot of such a situation?

>   4. Crashes during updates
>   when doing an update, it will crash the program. A restart and another
>   update seems to go fine, though.

>   5. URL rewriting
>   If I read the status bar updates correctly, pRssReader caches
>   webcontent first, and then seems to perform a URL rewrite. Wouldn't it be
>   better to do it the other way around? Especially since some of the
> sites I
>   frequent don't render correctly when retrieving an article using PIE and
>   present you with a popup saying that you will be diverted to their mobile
>   device portal (not to the specific article on the portal, although that
>   should be possible!)
I do not know if I understand well. The update is performed in the
following steps (suppose caching is turned on):
- feed file is downloaded
- every feed item is cached
  * URL of the article is taken and if there is a rule for URL
rewritting it is applied
  * if there is no rule and we are using HTML optimizer, the URL is
changed to link to the HTML optimizer
  * if there is no rule and we do not use HTML optimizer, the original
URL is taken
- when all feed items are cached, the translating for offline browsing
is performed.

> This is what I've some across so far.
> My device: T-Mobile MDA Pro (HTC Universal/Orange M3000/QTek 9000/iMate
> Jasjar) running WM5 AKU 2.2
>
> I've attached my OPML feed list, if you need anything else from me, please
> let me know!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sander

When using beta versions turn on the logging feature (search archive for
LogFile and LogLevel to know how to turn it on). pRSSreader then
generates a log file, which can help me to track down bugs. This is
especially usefull when you encounter crashes.

And, please, report one bug per one email. It makes my work easier.