[prssr-devel-ml] Re: Application comes to foreground if sync on cradle is enabled

  • From: "David Andrs" <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:13:40 -0700

On 2/13/07, Scott Bueffel <scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David, if I have pRSS configured to sync when the device is cradled, the
> application always starts and is brought to the foreground.  Is that how
> you have it by design?  I would prefer that pRSS update in the
> background only, and only launch the full app when I ask it to (from
> today plugin or app shortcut).  Now that I am thinking about it, does
> the background service run simply to watch for when to update, but
> doesn't do the updating itself?  In other words, the background service
> isn't what is doing the updating, but is merely a scheduling agent?  So
> the full pRSS application has to be started to do an update?  If so, I
> can now see why it is always coming to the foreground when cradling.
> Perhaps an option can be to have it remain minimized when automatically
> updating.  Thanks.
Running pRSSreader's main app after cradling is an intention. My
thinking about this is that user has to be notified that the update
has started. I know that it is not much convenient.

The background service is capable of doing updates. So, if the update
should be performed, the service do the work without running the main
app. So after the cradling, the service could do the update, but you
would not have any indication about the progress of the update.
Therefore I run the main app (option to run it minimized is very
simple). Also, if the service is doing the update, you do not ave any
indication about the progress, which is not very good and I'd like to
improve it somehow in future versions.

I was thinking about having all the updating stuff in the service, but
the synchronization between service and main app would be pretty hard
- they run in separate processes and there are more problems related
to this. Very hard to program, very hard to debug, etc.