[prssr-devel-ml] Re: 1.3.3 beta1 Problem: No or very slow background loading

  • From: "Joerg" <prss-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:01:39 +0100 (CET)

could you consider to extend the background loading process to the
currently active feed folder (or group, I don't remember the name you

I understand the desire to save memory, so maybe you could add it as
another registry tweak (e.g. "DWORD:Preload Coverage" : 1=Only current, 2=
Next&Prev, 3=Current Folder, 4=Full). I'd rather have pRSSreader use up
more memory than wait 10 seconds to over a minute for the larger feeds to
load (e.g. a cached version of Slashdot or BoingBoing (full text) with 100
items. I can provide you with the feed files for testing this).

> I removed the full background loading. If you start pRSSreader, the
active feed is loaded. Also the previous and the next feed is loaded on
the background -- a bit of preloading, because it is supposed that user
will jump to the next feed to check it and until he went through the
current feed the next one is loaded. This should save the memory -- only
needed feeds are loaded.
> --
> David
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 21:25 +0100, Joerg wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have several larger feeds in my list and am therefore used to give
pRSSreader some time to load all feeds before switching feeds.
>> After installing (and reconfiguring the cache directory et al...) I
restarted pRSSreader and left it alone in the hope it would read the
other feeds. However, either this process is very slow (or the feeds
>> read randomly, not in the order that is shown in the menu) or the
background loading process does not work at all.
>> Can anyone confirm this issue? My Cache directory resides on an SD card
(although it's a quite fast one).