[projectaon] Re: Readers' Handbook Comment Period Begins

  • From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 02:19:27 +0200

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 03:53:54PM +0100, Simon Osborne wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Further to a post made earlier, the Readers' Handbook wiki will have an
> official release shortly, so we're going to run it through a two-week
> comment period.
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/Home>

Some comments:

- "Healing" section  (Topical H), it says that "On the other
hand, because 20 days is not a lot of game time .... a GrandMaster with the
Discipline of Deliverance would be able to use their advanced ability in any
adventure, but still only once." This is not fully true as some adventures
might span over 20 days. More precisely in #15 (section 156) you are told
that it takes 15 days to tunnel through a solid wall of earth. That time plus
the trime to the Temple of Antah is certainly over 20 days.

- Grand HuntMastery Discipline: in many sections of the Grand Master books
  this discipline actually also provides enhanced reflexes. It provides a
  lot of bonuses to many rolls ("If you possess the Discipline of
  Grand Huntmastery, add X to the number..", in all the books I've checked,
  from #13 to #19) which cannot be explained just on the basis of the ability
  to see in total darkness.

- Grand Nexus Discipline: maybe it should tell that it also provides you
  with enhanced psychic powers over other items (see LW#13, section #226 or
  #15, section #265)

- Grand WeaponMastery with Bow grants +3 to numbers when shooting with a bow.
  Is this the same bonus as the one granted for Magnakai's Weapomastery or
  should it be accumulated? (I guess it is the same)
  *However*, is this cumulative with the (additional) +2 bonus of a Mentora's
  Weaponmastery?  (I think it should be, as this is an independent bonus)
  Maybe this should be added as additional information to the section in the
  Grand Master Disciplines listing that describes the Magnakai bonus that can
  be carried over to Grand Master series.

- Topical "Armour", should probably mention (or reference to) that some
  armour can be worn at the same time (Padded Waistcoast with Bronin Vest,
  but not Vest with Chainmail, as described in "Chainmail Waistcoast")

- Topical "Bow" could mention that the Magnakai and Grand Master
  WeaponMastery disciplines (but not the Kai one) adds a bonus to its use.

- Topical "Combat Results Table", could mentioned that it is biased towards
  Lone Wolf as a 0 CR is in LW's favor. The "balance" is a -5 or -6 CR (or is
  it -7/-8?)

- Topical "Combat Skill" could mention that some magical items (weapons and
  armors) grant bonus to this skill.

- Topical "Dagger of Vashan", it does not provide a bonus in the Darklands,
  rather, it provides a bonus when fighting a Darklord.

- Topical "Endurance", could mention that armor increases the Endurance (and
  some magical armor more so)

- Topical "K" - maybe add a reference to the Kalte Firesphere? It is one of
  the most used items in the Kai/Magnakai series, just take a look at this:

Kalte Firesphere
----
  Found:  03tcok.xml - Ice Barbarians (#295, #309)
  Used:   03tcok.xml - cyclone (#150), Javek (#229)
          04tcod.xml - vault (#29, #270)
          05sots.xml - sewer (#31)
          06tkot.xml - sewer (#339)
          07cd.xml   - corridor (#16), bubble (#107), cave (#258, #348)
          08tjoh.xml - tunnel (#194)
          09tcof.xml - alley (#94), stairs (#171), passage (#197), cave
(#282), stairwell (#313, #349)
          10tdot.xml - phantoms (#256)
          11tpot.xml - narrow gap (#126), mound (#260)

  Also worth noting that it is not used in the Grand Master series since Lone
  Wolf can see in the dark without it.

- Topical "Laumpsur", could mention that it is sometimes found in
  concentrated (or distilled) form which restores additional EP per dose.

- Topical "O" - maybe add a reference to the Oede Herb, it is also very much
  used in the books:

Oede herb
----
  Found: 05sots.xml - apothecary (#2)
         13tplor.xml - shelf (#234, #341)
  Used:  05sots.xml - vaxeler (#208, #344)
         08tjoh.xml - korovax infection (#156), poison (#268, #317)
         10tdot.xml - Yua poison (#205)
         11tpot.xml - poisonous berries (#234)
         14tcok.xml - virus (#130)
         15tdc.xml  - sleeping funghi (#292)
         18dotd.xml - plague (#23)

- Topical "Safekeeping" it should note that in some Lone Wolf books the
  safekeeping is not done at the Monastery but, rather, in Elzian
  (information from a Lone Wolf Club Newsletter, available in the FAQ IIRC)

- Topical "Sommerswerd" it could mention that Gran Masters, using the power
  of the sword can absorb hostile magic and use it to restore ENDURANCE
  (happens in some sections of the GM series).

  It could also mention that in the Grand Master series it might not be
  appropiate to take it over all the time and might be best left in
  Safekeeping since you don't want it to be lost to the Darklords
  (a hint to those encountery the Zakhan and Chaos Master and finding them
  impossible to beat)

- Topical "Special Items" it could mention that the Special Items that are
  carried on over to the Grand Masters series are limited to a specific set
  of items (so you better make sure you get them and not depend on the bonus
  of items that will be removed!)

- Topical "Optional Rules" - maybe add a reference to optional rules here,
  such as using two weapons in combat and some of the optional rules related
  to Healing available at the Forums. I wouldn't mind adding an optional rule
  also to make it possible for people to buy from merchants (using the spare
  coins) at the start of an adventure to buy potions at standard rates :)

Regards

Javier