[projectaon] Re: Physical

  • From: "Jonathan Blake" <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 07:48:41 -0800

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Ingo Kloecker
<projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Let's see. On my monitor the distance between Holona and Tenzha is 1.3
>  cm (if you prefer inch, then mentally replace cm by inch and wonder how
>  large my monitor is ;-) ) and the distance between Tenzha and Chod is
>  3.2 cm.
>
>  According to the signpost the distance between Holona and Tenzha is at
>  most 70 miles. So 1.3 cm (beeline) on the map correspond to 70 or less
>  miles. This means 3.2 cm (beeline) corresponds to 172.3 (~= 3.2/1.3x70)
>  or less miles. So unless the road to Chod is extremely twisty (which
>  does not seem to be the case given that the road follows the river) it
>  is indeed very unlikely that the distance between Tenzha and Chod is
>  about 270 miles.

That's the kind of scientific rigor for a fantasy setting that I've
come to expect from the group. :)

Is anyone up for verifying the scale on the maps by comparing common
distances? For example, the distance from Toran to Holmgard is shown
on several maps. Measure the distance based on the scales on the
different maps and compare the results.