[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 8) -- Ad-Hoc Part 1

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:55:22 +0100

On 19/06/2011 05:35, Timothy Pederick wrote:
On 19 June 2011 06:10, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    This implies that Lone Wolf has to walk at least 40 miles plus
    ascend 2 miles in the air to complete his mission, all within 48
    hours. I know that he's a Kai Grand Master, but this seems to be a
    bit optimistic on Rimoah's part! Still, Lone Wolf manages it so I
    guess I should stop complaining ;)]"

If it were a hiking expedition, Naismith's Rule
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_Rule> would say it takes just
over 45 hours. I think it's plausible, given that Lone Wolf is a Grand
Master and can no doubt manage a two-day hike without rest and faster
than average, but it does underscore just how desperate a mission this is.

Rejected! This is why we need people with lots of different interests involved in Project Aon. (Naismith's Rule?!)

    (er)    8, 339: greystone -> grey stone

The real question is, do we treat this as simply describing stone that
is grey, or is it a specific stone, like bluestone?

    (er)    12:     to find out who they are -> to find out who it is
    [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007: singular to agree with antecedent 'somebody']

Agreed.

    (er)    124:    everyone gets to their feet -> all get to their feet
    [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

I don't see a problem with the original.

    (er)    185:    towheaded -> tow-headed [??]

No, "towhead" and "towheaded" are the correct forms, as far as I know.

So it is: <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/towheaded> Rejected!

    (er)    14: "a horde of undead warriors leap -> a horde of undead
    warriors leaps [LeRoy McSwain, Mar 2007]
    [TP: Disagreed. Nouns like 'horde' are often interchangeable between
    singular and plural forms, depending on whether they are construed
    as being 'a group treated as one entity' or 'a number of...' (cf.
    'some', 'lots': 'some of my friends are coming', not 'is coming').]"

Wow. These comments from me must have come at a time when I was a lot
more willing to commit to one side or the other of singular vs. plural
issues! :-P

What? No, you're not allowed to change your mind! :-p

Well, that was an epic fail: I was trying to list things I thought would be easy to decide on, but then people go and change their minds on their existing comments. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! Still, two have been Rejected almost immediately, which is something. And the "man whom" instance in Book 14 will be Fixed later. Which brings us back down to 12, which is the per-weekly norm.