[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:04:08 +1200

You people all seem to be making this overly complicated :) I love it.

The way I see it, the "reader loyalty bonus" is that the player gets to
compare their old bonuses to the equivalent new Grandmaster bonus and
use the best bonus applicable.

As far as I can tell, the best unarmed combat bonus you can get from the
Magnakai books is Scion-Kai Weaponmastery which states

* "... when in combat without a weapon [Scion-kai] lose only 1 point
from their COMBAT SKILL"

yet in the Grandmaster series (under Kai & Magnakai Disciplines)
Weaponmastery is stated as providing

* "... Master of unarmed combat; no COMBAT SKILL loss when fighting
bare-handed"

If you are carrying on a Magnakai character you should technically
retain the -1 CS when fighting unarmed "bonus" (it appears to be a
penalty but its actually a "reduce the penalty" bonus) until you reach
Grand Crown in Grand Weaponmastery (and can replace it with +3 CS
bonus), because Grand Weaponmastery doesnt actually state it allows no
CS loss when fighting unarmed.

That seems silly. Surely the best applicable bonus would apply?

My interpretation is that for every bonus acquired via a discipline you
take either the Magnakai bonus OR the Grandmaster bonus, whichever is
higher/better. So in the case of Deliverance you still get the +1
EP/section bonus from Curing but you can now use battle healing when you
reach 8 EP once every 20 days (Deliverance) instead of 6 EP once every
100 days (Archmaster Curing).

The rules for Mentora Weaponmastery say "When using a bow ... add 2 ...
if you are a Mentora with the Magnakai Discipline of Weaponmastery.".
This is obviously a bonus that is linked to Magnakai Weaponmastery
discipline. You dont get to add this bonus to Grand Weaponmastery (again
my interpretation of that passage - but effectively its irrelevant as no
improved GM disciplines increase this +3 bonus). Thus I would compare
the +3 (Weaponmastery) +2 (Mentora) = +5 (or +3 if I never reached
Mentora Weaponmastery) Magnakai bonus to the (under most circumstances)
+3 Grandmaster bonus and take whichever is higher.

Effectively this means that if I had Mentora Weaponmastery I would
always use the +5 bonus from that, If I hadnt reached Mentora
Weaponmastery I would always use the relevant Grand Weaponmastery bonus
(as its going to be the same or better than the +3 from Weaponmastery).

Furthermore, my gut feeling is that we shouldnt standardize GM
Weaponmastery bonuses mentioned in specific sections throughout the book
(either to +3 or +5 or even to +4). I find it hard to believe that
anyone could write down a bonus (regardless of whether or not its a typo
or a copy-paste error) and then not make the random number comparisons
immediately afterwards relevant to that specific bonus. If the author
said the bonus is +3 they would know the player had a 30% greater chance
(vs not having the skill) to "succeed" (ie get a better option), +5
would be a 50% greater chance. you would base the rolls required to
"succeed" respectively. The author may also be using a higher bonus as a
way of saying if you have Grand Weaponmastery (with a bow) you cannot
fail (eg +5 CS bonus means you cannot roll the 1-4 which would result in
a miss). Additionally, by changing those specifically stated bonuses you
change a difficult roll into a much easier one (or harder if youre
dropping the bonus from +5 -> +3).