[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:27:22 +0000

> Subject: [projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)
> From: crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx
> To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:20:32 +1200
>
> The rules of Grey Star dont say that your wizard's staff is two-handed
> or you cant use two weapons together, only that you cant have more than
> 2 weapons. Youre thinking of the rules for LW.
>
> Ergo, using a dagger with your staff and adding the CS bonus is correct.

That's because the Grey Star series was written before the two-handed rules
were written.  By that logic I can use a Magic Spear and Shield combination in
the fight with the Helghast in Book 2 (which honestly seems reasonable, as
witness the Spartan in The Deadliest Warrior series).  Or carry 30 Special
Items around until Book 8.

> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 15:48 +0000, John TFS wrote:
> > I'm inclined to agree with you.  Plus, when you think about it, Grey
> > Star doesn't really fight in as classic manner with a Quarterstaff.
> > He create a blaze of magical energy at one end of the thing and then
> > burns his opponents with it.
>
> Well technically he strikes the enemy with the staff (something you can
> do one handed like you mention) and magical bolt of energy is released
> from the staff. Thats why you dont even need Willpower to fight with
> your staff, you only use your willpower to boost the output from your
> staff (and do more damage).

Well, true.  Of course you can also use other Weapons without spending WP, but
you'll still take a -6 CS penalty for doing so.  Without WP to fire it up, your
Wizard's Staff is just another longish, metallish stick resembling every other
Quarterstaff.  Note the relevant passage from the Grey Star rules:

Your Staff is your most valuable possession. It looks and feels like
an ordinary quarterstaff, yet it is stronger than any known metal. This
is your main combat weapon, for you are untrained in the use of any
other form of armed combat. It contains a potent force that is unleashed
 at will by the power of your mind, and causes a beam of destructive
power to hurtle from its tip. Every time you unleash this power you must
 deduct 1 WILLPOWER point.7

In the event that your enemy survives such an attack or should you
fall victim to a surprise attack, you will be forced to engage in close
combat and must attempt to strike your enemy with the Staff. If your
attack is successful, a bolt of energy will be released from the Staff
that is capable of inflicting great physical harm. If you wish to
increase the amount of damage that you inflict in this way, you must use
 more WILLPOWER points and multiply the number of ENDURANCE points lost by the
enemy, accordingly. For example, if you chose to expend 3 WILLPOWER points on
your attack, all enemy ENDURANCE point losses would be multiplied by three.
[7] If your WILLPOWER
 falls to zero or below, you will not be able to use the magical
properties of your Wizard's Staff until your score is again above zero.
You can still use your Wizard's Staff in combat as a normal weapon, but
you must deduct 6 points from your COMBAT SKILL.