[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Benjamin I Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 03:19:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Chris Neilson wrote:

I think theres also the possibility that the Mentora +2 was intended as
a bonus if you werent trained in using a bow (and hence you you wouldnt
have the +3) - ie it doesnt stack. The skill says "Mentoras skilled in
Weaponmastery are more accurate", that doesn't specifically say that it
stacks with the +3. Then again, it also doesnt say that it isn't a
cumulative bonus. It is possible (just barely) to be Mentora without any
weapon mastery in bow.

When I *first* read the Improved Discipline I assumed it was cumulative
as I already had training in bow at the time. However, there isnt
anything there that specifically says it should be used in addition to
the other +3 bonus (if it applies).

The more I think about it the more sense it seems to make. an extra +2
which stacks with +3 WM-with-bow seems like a huge bonus, in fact I
would struggle to come up with a bonus that would offer an equally
beneficial improvement (other combat disciplines at best only gain +2 CS
- hardly an equal comparison). Whereas a minimum of +2 (without
WM-with-bow) is still a good bonus and keeps it more in line with the
improvement bonuses of other Disciplines.

so:
4. The "We all misinterpreted the rules" argument
   * Grand Weaponmastery with Bow +3 is correct.
   * Ad hoc +4 and +5 bonuses replace this.
   * The Mentora +2 only applies if you are throwing a dagger etc (as
by the Grandmaster series you should have WS-with-bow and hence get the
+3 or greater bonus).

The problem with this analysis is that the Magnakai Weaponmastery skill gives +3 for any missile weapon random number pick if you're skilled with that weapon. (E.g., throwing the Dagger of Vashna at Zakhan Kimah if you have Weaponmastery in Dagger.) So by this analysis, the Mentora bonus would be nearly useless: a Mentora would already be skilled in 7/10 weapons, so the bonus would only apply to the other 3! (And then 2 at Scion-kai and 1 at Archmaster.) I think we have to say that a Mentora skilled with the Bow gets a +5 (and +8 if they have the Silver Bow of Duadon), as unbalanced as that sounds.

Ben