[projectaon] Re: Latest Edition of 18dotd

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:48:05 +0100

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:23 PM, David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > I would've thought a left-justified indent would be the thing...
>
> Yeah, it's just that signs have been centered so far. It's just that
> it would require changing all the other signs, or making a way to
> make these ones different.
>
> I've hand altered Section 14. What does everyone think of this
> formatting?
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/18dotd/sect14.htm
>
> This would just require changing the CSS style sheet and coding the
> XML properly. A quick fix.

Looks good, but I think it would look even better if the sign wouldn't
span the whole width. I should be centered but only take as much
horizontal space as necessary. The HTML/CSS code to achieve this:

text-align: center; padding-top: 0.5em; padding-bottom: 0.5em;
padding-left: 0.5em; padding-right: 0.5em; border: solid 1px #C1C270;
background-color: #E1E1B7; line-height: 1.5em;">
Chod: 250 miles North<br />
Holona: 50 miles West<br />
Tenzha: 20 miles South

I found this trick at
http://www.solstice.co.il/2008-02-26/horizontally_centering_content_with_dynamic_width_in_css

This page also describes how to achieve the same in IE6/IE7 (with an
alternative stylesheet).

Regards,
Ingo