[projectaon] Re: Freeway Warrior Update

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:35:43 +0100

Iain Smith wrote:

Added those two to my local copies of the XML, plus another reference in 327.
I've skimmed the other books and here are the suggestions (the raw XML is much
more forgiving in the search department):

||(ne) ||02smr ||19, 51, 59, 66, 90, 99, 101, 111, 138, 146, 187, 213, 266,
291: ||map [irs: link to map]||
||(ne) ||03toz ||8, 103, 110, 256, 283: ||map [irs: link to map]||
||(ne) ||04cc ||40, 152, 250, 315: ||map [irs: link to map]||

If you think these are relevant, I'll get them added ASAP.

I've briefly checked each one, and they should all have a link made to the map, yeah. Working on all 4 books does help to catch these sorts of things early, doesn't it? :-)

Let me guess: you've added 100+ added footnotes about reducing the amount of ammunition in your Ammo Pouch? ;-) The editors really should have caught that before publication.

You wish :) I've only scanned for references to things such as "Backpack Items", "Weapons List" and "Ammo Pouch", along with global non errata stuff such as 1900 -> 1990.

Yeah, I do wish! :-p

I reckon that if the table were replaced with an image, then alt text could be
added which could make it:

"Eleven numbers appear, arranged in three rows. There are four numbers on the top
row, four on the second, and three on the third: The top row is numbered 2, 12, 5, and 9;
the middle row: 4, 20, 7, and 17; the bottom row: 12, 12, and 4"

Just a suggestion really, but one I think is probably worth considering. Of course the best judge for such things would be the users that we're aiming at. Have we considered altering the XML and XSL to allow building of Visual Impaired books in a similar manner to the PDFs?

That's certainly an interesting proposal, and one that doesn't alter the book in any way. How many sections does this affect? We should probably go ahead and do this for the FW series, and get feedback on a Beta release from one of our visually-impaired readers. I do like where this is going, I must say. (We might also possibly use a different font in creating an image for these sections, one that looks similar to a digital LCD display; but that's a purely stylistic decision.)