[projectaon] Freeway Warrior Action Chart

  • From: Iain Smith <iainsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:38:51 -0800 (PST)

I've been diligently hammering away at FWAC in my spare time and have got
another version
uploaded at the usual place:

http://www.geocities.com/iainsmith/ActionChart/ActionChart.jar

Run with:

java -jar ActionChart.jar

The latest version no longer needs to be ran from a particular folder, if the
relevant
pages cannot be found you'll be requested to browse to the file manually.

Changes:
* Added routines to search for the relevant starting page (title.htm) for the
current
book, starting by looking in the default folder (01HH, 02SMR, 03TOZ, 04CC),
then if
folder is not found, allowing browse to file.
* Rewrote Load/Save system, this now works in both integrated and standalone
mode,
Integrated/Standalone mode, and page folder details.
* Added routines to correctly feed Wizard generated character values into the
relevant
sections of the Action Chart
* Removed modifier spinner controls for skill modifiers, since they were not
needed.
Added a single read-only label next to the Stealth skill, this is set to
indicate stealth
penalties as required by backpack items and ranged weapons being carried.
* Added validation to controls, setting sensible boundaries and limiting special
characters.
* Updated page history navigation to remove theoretical 400 page limit and
handle folder
transitions (just in case someone decides to play through all the books at
once).
* Fixed handling of folder changes within integrated viewer.
* Linked the main statistics controls to the combat window, changes to values
in one are
duplicated in the other.
* Added "Level Up" message when switching books (reminder that you gain 4
additional
skill points).
* Added combat scanning code, combat entries are represented as a link,
clicking on these
links switch to combat pane and fill enemy statistics.

ToDo:
* Spruce up icons.  Again, if anyone has ideas or better graphical talent,
please let me
know and I'll send them the GIFs to edit.
* Tidy up layout.
* Implement "About" box, with relevant ProjectAon license.  Is there a
preferred layout
for this?

I think all of the expected functionality is now in there, obviously there are
still
tweaks to be made and no doubt some bugs to find.  The HTML processing is very
convoluted
and hopefully can be ripped out when Sun get around to adding decent HTML
support (Maybe
in Java 6?).

One question I don have is reagrading the current state of the FW books
themselves?  Has
HH reached the XML stage yet, or is it solely the raw text which is being
proofread?  The
coding I've done to do things such as intercepting combat references, etc may
need
updating if the XML format for Freeway Warrior is different to that of Lone
Wolf.  If any
help is needed to speed up the XML process, I'll probably be able to contribute
to that.
I *love* setting up macros to speed up document processing ;)  Well, the
offer's there if
needed.

Oh, and one more thing.  I recently was unfortunate enough to play "Lone Wolf -
The
Mirror of Death" on the C64 recently.  Man, was that dire.

http://farechase.yahoo.com