[projectaon] Re: Footnotes Redux--Revenge of the Deathlord

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:28:34 +0000

On 10/02/2012 17:14, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Simon Osborne<outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

One thing I've noticed is how intrusive the ERRTAG comments are. I know that
they were once very helpful in editing, but I think they have outlived their
usefulness. I'd like, if it's acceptable to the other editors, to go ahead
and remove them all from 17tdoi as an experiment. Does anyone have any
thoughts on this?

I understand what you mean, but I admit that I have mixed feelings. I
had hoped that we could use them to eventually tie changes back to the
section and in some vaguely defined way that would allow us to
automatically recreate the original text. We would still have a lot of
work to do even if we keep the ERRTAG comments, but they might speed
up the work. In balance, if it's interfering with our current work,
it's hard to justify keeping them around for the sake of something we
might do sometime.

I've experimented with doing this along with the (un-committed) changes for Book 17. Having all those redundant tags removed certainly made life easier for me, though I appreciate I'm not the only one to work on the xml. Their removal made searching for specific text easier, and also improved manually adding things to the Errata section--no more getting a mild headache trying to make sense of what is already there! >_< Only several searches were needed when using a rough regular expression such as:

<!--ERRTAG-[A-Z]+-[0-9]+-->
<!--/ERRTAG-[A-Z]+-[0-9]+-->
<!--ERRTAG-[A-Z]+-[0-9]+-[A-Z]+-->

I'm sure that can be reduced down to just one expression, but I'm just dabbling to make life simpler for myself. ;-) The text editor I currently use purports to have a Find/Replace in Files feature, so I could theoretically do this all in one go, assuming we decide to do it.

Honestly, I don't see any need to recreate the buggy, typo-ridden original text. On the other hand, it might be possible to script much of it simply from what is present in the Errata section even without the ERRTAGs--not that I would have the first clue on how to do it, of course.