[projectaon] Re: Font substitutes

  • From: Iain Smith <iainsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:53:46 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a list of fonts supplied by the various linux distributions?  From
what I can tell, the mirrors which 'msttcorefonts' utilitses are holding a
copies of the fonts originally supplied by Microsoft as part of their "MS Core
Fonts" package which was released back in 1996 but discontinued in 2002.  While
MS no longer support this package, the EULA and FAQ states that they could be
freely distributed so long as the contents remain intact (i.e. kept in their
original .exe form, not the individual TTF files) .  I guess this is to ensure
that the end user agrees to the T&Cs when installing them.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq8.htm

Iain