[projectaon] Re: Errors: <onomatopoeia> Redux [THE END]

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:03:24 +0100

Jonathan Blake wrote:
Warning: I don't always have rational justification for my preferences
in the following. :)

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 3:51 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

CLICK:

[snip]

Should be marked up.

Done!

Book 4:
282: "You hear the hollow click of the lock, but this is echoed by a click
far louder."

It seems odd to mark up both clicks. I think only the first should be marked.

Yeah, that's a good point. Fixed the first occurrence only.

Book 5:
152: "You hear the creak of dry hinges and the click of bolts..."

Unless we're going to mark "creak", I suggest we leave this one alone;
it should be all or none. I'm not sure "creak" should be marked up. It
begins to feel like a book for toddlers where the reader is supposed
to provide dramatic and amusing sound effects.

While the Lone Wolf books aren't exactly aimed at an "adult" audience, despite the ages of we PA volunteers, I don't think we want to go down the terrifying route you describe here. Rejected.

[snip]

All should be marked up.

Fixed!

Freeway Warrior Book 4:
28: "...there is a faint click and the whirr of a hydraulic lock as it
disengages."
[Also: whirr ?]

I vote for "click" only.

OK--only 'click' marked up. Fixed.

All of these should be marked.

Fixed!

Book 14: [I don't think any of these qualify to be marked up; however:]

I don't like these for the same reasons given for the "creak" and
"click" passage.

Entirely agreed.

Should this be standardised to "tell you" or "tells you"?

"tell you"

Fixed!

HUGE thanks for this, Jon. I might have left this longer to stew, but I'll be otherwise occupied this evening, and I wanted to get these things done today rather than tomorrow. If anyone would like to discuss any of the changes proposed here, please do so; revoking a change or two is not as difficult as implementing almost 50 changes. Thank goodness for copy+paste.

Annoyingly, none of these are on the Errata pages, so we can't even point to these as resolved issues, but it should mean we won't need to touch onomatopoeia ever again. Something for which I, at least, am most grateful!! (Even though I have finally begun spelling it correctly on first attempt.)

Would anyone on the list mind a day or two off? I don't feel like completing the research for the final "major" post just yet.

Project Aon Slave-driver