[projectaon] Re: Errors: <onomatopoeia>

  • From: Benjamin I Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:12:37 -0400 (EDT)

List excised, but in general I think any onomatopoeic verb should be left in Roman print. If it's in verb form, the word is no longer actually emulating the sound but rather describing something in the action of making the sound, so it would seem silly to italicize.

As for onomatopoeic nouns, I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

Ben

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, Simon Osborne wrote:

Hi

Another batch, this one focusing on onomatopoeic words. Basically, each of these issues is about whether a sound-word should be italicised in the text or not. To be able to either implement or
reject these, removing them from the lists of Errata, will be most useful.

Bear in mind that although this list appears to be very long, most of the issues are very similar, so a decision for one item should easily relate to other outstanding items further down the list. And although these only refer to LW21-28, the responses to this list can easily be extrapolated for the other Books 1-20, FW1-4, and GS1-4. In truth, I would expect the majority of these issues to be
rejected, setting very useful precedents.

(Individual words covered: clangs, thuds, clicks, buzz, click, thud, clang, whooshes, clanging, scrunch.)