[projectaon] Re: Errors: Eight from the Cauldron

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:18:01 +0100

On Wednesday 12 November 2008, Simon Osborne wrote:
> Hi
>
> In revenge--er, response--to Jon's post earlier, here are more
> issues, these all culled from The Cauldron of Fear.
>
> Note that there are no "on to" issues, since these have all been
> resolved. Hopefully you can see the fruits of the labours in this
> post. ;-)
>
> ----------
>
> (er)  The Story So Far:       the koura-tas-kai would each come from the
> north ->  the koura-tas-kai would both come from the north [to agree
> with 'they' later in the sentence] [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007] [SO: Or,
> ...both koura-tas-kai would come from the north...
> -> "A prophecy foretold that the koura-tas-kai would each come from
> the north to seek..."
>
> (er)  77:     He that gave us life -> Him that gave us life [LeRoy
> McSwain, Jan 2007] -> "...we will fulfil our duty to He that gave us
> life."
> [SO: Also, remove quotes and put thought-speech in itals? Or does the
> Crocaryx use actual speech later on in the section?]

"It is He who [...]" appears to be a very common phrase in particular
when talking about a deity. Google finds about 961,000 matches when one
searches for the phrase "it is he who".

In view of this, I propose:
(er) 77: He that gave us life -> He who gave us life

> (er)  115:    Put a tick on your Action Chart beside the item or items
> that you wish to stake.  [Change 'Put a tick' to 'Put tick(s)' or
> more simply just 'Mark' to agree with the syntax of 'item or items']
> [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]

If you really think it's necessary to change this then please use "On
your Action Chart mark the item or items that you wish to stake."
Using 'Put tick(s)' might be okay for a form of some kind, but I don't
think it's appropriate for literature.

> (er)  146:    Chah mountain -> Chah Mountain [??]
> -> "...tough hill-dwellers from the Chah mountain valley, and..."

Chah is a river (see section 1). So "Chah Mountain valley" does not seem
to make sense to me. Maybe "Chah Mountain Valley"?

> (er)  256:    He who gave us life -> Him that gave us life [cf. Sect77
> Errata above] -> "...we will fulfil our duty to He who gave us life."

No.

> (ne)  350 (Footnote)  South Gate Guard -> South Gate guards
> -> "...if your weapons and weapon-like Special Items were confiscated
> by the South Gate Guard, they..."

I'd say "South Gate Guard" is correct. The fact that "Guard" is
capitalized indicates that it does not refer to a single person but to
the entity formed by all guards. Or maybe I'm just making this up since
it works that way in German where "Wache" can refer to a single person
as well as to the entity formed by several people and even to the
building housing the guard.

Regards,
Ingo