[projectaon] Re: Drakkar v. Drakkarim

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:15:16 +0000

Hi LeRoy

McSwain LeRoy wrote:
I'm curious how grandmaster dever himself feels about it but, per the giak
language rules, i'm guessing that he intended 'drakkar' to be singular and
'drakkarim' to be plural but accidentally overused the word 'drakkarim' because
it is a more interesting word.

Equally, editors without prior familiarity of the world of Magnamund may not have understood the different uses of the words and tried to "fix" it. We are in the fortunate position where we have the text of all the books and can look for trends in the usage of the words--a Search in Files will quickly show where the words are and how they are used.

according to dictionary.reference.com, the adjective 'scots' derives  from a
truncation of 'scottis' an alternate form of 'scottish'.  the fact that it
looks like the plural form of the noun is apparently a coincidence.

Well, you learn something new every day! :-)