[projectaon] Re: Comment period for 1-7

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:27:06 +0000

On 25/02/2012 04:46, Jonathan Blake wrote:
I haven't been able to get to my own review of books 4-7, and I've
been finding lots of things to adjust based on our reviews of 1-3, so
I think we have a choice. Do we extend the comment period another week
to end on March 3? Or do we end the comment period for 1-3, leave 4-7
for later, and go ahead with publishing 1-3? I'm leaning toward the
second option, publishing 1-3 now.

After some thought, I reckon it matters what we plan to do next. My take on it is this:

If we plan to revise/re-release Books 8-12 next, then we should hold off on releasing Books 1-3. There may be the odd issue that we spot in the Magnakai books that also affect earlier books--unlikely, but possible. In that scenario, we should wait until 4 and 5 are ready and release 1-5 (the Kai series), and then work through 8-12 and re-release Books 6-12 (the Magnakai series).

If we plan to work on Book 26 next, then we should release Books 1-3 now, 4-7 next week, and work on Book 26 afterwards.

As much as I want to get the remaining three books released, I am erring toward the first scenario, that of releasing the two sub-series first, as that would seem to entail a much reduced likelihood of ever having to revisit the earlier books. Also, it would reduce the burden of updating the All.zip file--and also the bandwidth used due to fans downloading it.

(The only other thing to look at in Books 1-3 that comes to mind would be an audit of capitalised vs. uncapitalised use of "weapon(s)" in Books 1-7.)

Are we offering each sub-series as a separate download (e.g. Kai1-5, Magnakai6-12)? If not, now might be the ideal time to do that, should we opt for the first scenario.

We would also be releasing the books in Simple and Less-simple formats, of course. Ingo, what are the chances of getting at least one or two of the PDFs ready for release alongside--or shortly after--the re-releases?

Here are diffs that show what Simon and I have done in the background
over the last week with 1-3.

http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/diffs/01fftd-docdiff-r1837-r1873.html

http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/diffs/02fotw-docdiff-r1837-r1873.html

http://projectaon.org/staff/jonathan/diffs/03tcok-docdiff-r1837-r1873.html