[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:57:02 +0200

On Thursday 22 September 2011, Simon Osborne wrote:
> On 21/09/2011 01:36, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> > Let's get started with the comment period for Lone Wolf 1-7. It's a
> > little odd starting it in the middle of the week, but I think we'll
> > be OK. :)
>
> Just a thought: if we have existing archived copies of the xml that
> relates to the published edition of a book, we could use that to
> generate an old simple edition and diff against that.

Since we are using Subversion, we could simply tag the published
revisions. Then we'd always know which revision our published editions
are based on.

> > Over the next week (ending Tuesday, 27 Sep), please review the
> > books in any way that you think would help and report back, even
> > if it's to say that they look good. The more the merrier. Since
> > we're doing seven this week, I figure it's easy to split up the
> > task and do one per day.
> >
> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/01fftd/title.htm
> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/01fftd.htm
> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/01fftd/title
> > .htm
> >
> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/title.htm
> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/02fotw.htm
> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/02fotw/title
> > .htm
>
> 79 and corresponding Errata entry: delete superfluous extra space
> before "(e.g." (i.e. replace "  " with " "). Is there any easy way
> of checking for erroneous multiple spaces within <p> tags? That
> said, it's a very minor detail I suppose...

Multiple spaces should be irrelevant because HTML and LaTeX both
"compress" multiple spaces to a single space.

> I just compared the list of footnotes against each section in the
> Mongoose Publishing edition...if we copied them, we could make errata
> changes to the text and lose 21 (!!) of our footnotes for this book
> alone. I haven't checked Books 3-7 yet. That said, I think Mongoose's
> solutions are sometimes inelegant, so we shouldn't slavishly go along
> with their text.
>
> I know we don't want to linger over this comment period. Should we
> leave the footnotes as they are, or should I make a list of what the
> Mongoose solutions to our footnotes were and implement them
> selectively? Or (if possible) would someone else like to do this, if
> they own copies of the Mongoose editions? ;-)

I've been wondering lately whether we are actually allowed to take any
changes from the Mongoose editions. We probably do not have the right to
publish the Mongoose editions. I think it's okay to mention the Mongoose
solutions in the footnotes (if we think they are worth mentioning). But
I'm dubious about making our text identical to the one from the Mongoose
editions.

Regards,
Ingo