[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:58:18 +0100

Off the top of my head there's a non-corporeal combat in Book 11 with some "Shadow Reavers", I think, is its magical bonus relevant there?

-----Original Message----- From: Jonathan Blake
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:48 PM
To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:27 AM, David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am I right in dimly recalling that the only allusion to the Silver Helmet's "magical" qualities is that it is described as feeling "remarkably light"...
yet there's a Gary Chalk vignette of it that shows it as a massive great
bloomin' thing with a dragon on top (lol to be honest, I think Lone Wolf
would look a bit silly and ostentatious with that on his bonce!) ... since
that mass of silver would in reality weigh several kilograms (10kg? 15kg?)
one might cautiously infer it has some magical properties...
...also silver is a pretty soft metal, and probably wouldn't stand up to a
sword or axe blow!
e.g. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Silver
it's "Mohs hardness" is only 2.5, which is totally rubbish :)
wheras its density is 10½ grams per cubic centimetre - comparable to lead ( http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-chart-elements/density.htm ... cf. steel is
about 7.8 g/cm^3)

It strains credibility that having such a large heavy soft thing on your
head would improve your CS by 2 points due to its physical properties alone
(unless it simply made your enemies laugh at how silly it looked :)

How about we just footnote the contest in Kingdoms? Or are there other
situations that we think should apply?