[projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:27:35 +0100

Am I right in dimly recalling that the only allusion to the Silver Helmet's "magical" qualities is that it is described as feeling "remarkably light"... yet there's a Gary Chalk vignette of it that shows it as a massive great bloomin' thing with a dragon on top (lol to be honest, I think Lone Wolf would look a bit silly and ostentatious with that on his bonce!) ... since that mass of silver would in reality weigh several kilograms (10kg? 15kg?) one might cautiously infer it has some magical properties... ...also silver is a pretty soft metal, and probably wouldn't stand up to a sword or axe blow!

e.g. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Silver
it's "Mohs hardness" is only 2.5, which is totally rubbish :)
wheras its density is 10½ grams per cubic centimetre - comparable to lead ( http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-chart-elements/density.htm ... cf. steel is about 7.8 g/cm^3)

It strains credibility that having such a large heavy soft thing on your head would improve your CS by 2 points due to its physical properties alone (unless it simply made your enemies laugh at how silly it looked :)

-----Original Message----- From: Simon Osborne
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:14 PM
To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [projectaon] Re: Comment Period for Lone Wolf 1-7

On 10/10/2011 01:40, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Simon Osborne<outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

03tcok

308: Change "Helmet" to "Silver Helm" in first sentence. Added/revised "If you are already wearing another Helmet, you must discard it if you wish to
keep this new find. If worn during combat, this magically crafted helmet
will increase your COMBAT SKILL by 2 points."

I think we should remove the following from our footnote:

"The text is somewhat ambiguous on this matter, but it is likely that
the COMBAT SKILL bonus is magical in nature, and not the result of any
physically protective value it might have (which may very well be
nil)."

Do we have any way to support that idea? If so, we should give some
guidance on what it means that the bonus is magical (e.g. it might be
able to be used in the contest for the Silver Bow).

There doesn't seem to be anything said either way. There's no official
ruling in 06tkot from Mongoose that you can benefit from the Silver
Helmet in the archery tournament, though it does say that you do not
benefit from a Shield or 'any weapon other than a Bow'. A magical helm
may therefore be considered acceptable in such a situation.

Are you implementing these changes in the xml files, Jon? unless there's
a specific question to be resolved, it's probably easier if you do.
Consolidation of efforts, and all that. ;-)