[projectaon] Re: Brian Williams' Work

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:18:39 +0100

<outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> http://www.projectaon.org/staff/simon/Files/Legends_Vignettes.pdf
> >
> > Looks pretty good. My only question in that the chapter titles seem
> > like they were scanned in too. At least they seem pixelated. If
> > this can be cleared up, I would say its ready to publish, though I
> > haven't checked it for factual errors.
>
> Uh, no, they're definitely not scanned. Probably the copy of the
> Souvenir font I have just doesn't cut it at larger font sizes! I can
> very easily alter this to the other font used (Calibri? I don't
> recall off-hand) in the file if you think that's a good idea.

If the chapter titles are the text below the images then they look quite
good here, even with a magnification of 400 %. They do not look perfect
though. The font renderer seems to have a problem with a few letters
(e.g. i and s). Also a few of the letters are not filled completely. I
have attached a sample.

OTOH, the book titles are rendered flawlessly. It seems the Souvenir
font isn't of very high (and expensive) quality.

FWIW, I'm using KPDF 0.5.9 on openSUSE 11.0.

Regards,
Ingo