[projectaon] Re: Books 1-7 Clean-up

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:04:47 +0100

David Davis wrote:

* feet first -> feet-first ?

Oh yuk, no! Don't go hyphenating that!

It's a potential consistency issue; my brain genuinely has a blank spot when it comes to where x-first should be hyphenated and when it shouldn't. (I've looked through the list of accepted/rejected issues on this, and I still don't get it!) If it's rejected, it can be marked as such and then no one need ask about it ever again! :-)

(See: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Sanctum/ManualOfStyle>)

350: Dessi's evil shadow -> Zhada's evil shadow [SO: The original wording sort of makes sense, but I think this would be an improvement]

It's a shadow ON Dessi, not what is casting the shadow?

I've never heard that particular use of the metaphor "x's shadow" before, that's what threw me. I had to read the phrase about three times before I could make any sense out of it. The caster of the shadow should be the subject rather than what is in shadow, surely? Changing it to '...the evil shadow on Dessi...' would therefore also work. But the way it is written now is oblique to say the least.

BTW, thanks for the responses, David. You're almost always the first with input and it really helps. :-)