[project1dev] Re: wow check out this game

  • From: Chris Riccobono <crysalim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 21:32:05 -0700

That would be too good :)

Although it might be hard coordinating n/s/e/w in 3d space... a lot of
other stuff too I'm probably not even thinking of.

There was a mud that completely recreated Final Fantasy 1 by this
ridiculously skilled coder named Trenton - he put in a map system that
was sort of a mix of nethack's exploration and the original screens
from FF1.  Instead of seeing room descriptions, you were shown a 50x50
text screen of the world.  Not only that, but you could form parties
with other players, up to 4 people, just like in the game!  He also
used mxp, so actual music from the game was playing via midi while you
went around :D  Even boss music!  Eventually he added sprite support.
That made everyone just collectively head asplode with how cool it
was.  When you were in a battle you'd see a crude pixelated sprite of
your enemy from FF1.

I really wonder if that mud is still up.. I haven't checked on it in a
few years.