[project1dev] Re: scenario ideas

  • From: Kent Petersen <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:54:01 -0700

One gripe I have with games that let you pick your stats is that you never
really know what your getting yourself into. There have been plenty of games
I picked a "perfect" character and spent tons of time allocating points just
to realize that the game didn't really play out as I had in mind or that
stat I pumped was pretty useless.

Do you think showing the stats to the player is even necessary? Does it
really make a difference to know your strength is 1 or 10 as opposed to weak
and strong?

Throughout the course of the game you can have scenarios that modify your
stats. If stats are adjustable throughout the game it's not as important to
have that perfect set up at the beginning of the game. There could be mini
games you could play to modify your stats. For example, there could be a
game of chess. If you beat the computer in the game of chess not only do you
move on to a harder opponent but you gain an intelligence. If you spend too
much time playing chess your strength might go down from a lack of activity.
To increase your strength back up you may need to do something more
strenuous. I think if there are a lot of ways to lose and gain stats there
will be less need to have it perfect and less reason to prompt restarting.

Any thoughts?