[project1dev] our act raiser game on the artistic front

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 22:21:21 -0700

Katie and I talked about some basic stuff about the game and this first
level to work out a plan of attack for the various stuff about the game that
related to where tech and art overlap.

What we wewre thinkin is...

#1 - first we are going to get the terrain of the map worked out.  I drew up
a more detailed version of the map of level 1 and she's going to model the
terrain... the mountains, the flat areas, a little canal where the river is
going to be and that kind of stuff.

#2 - after that we are going to be usin the terrain shader i made today to
texture the terrain model she made, starting in on that when the map is
partly done so that we can make sure it'll work like we want it.  She was
thinkin that looked like it would work pretty good for our needs.

#3 - after that, the focus is going to be on the other natural features of
the terrain - like the trees, the river (im going to be working on a complex
shader for that which i saw on the net), any kind of decorative natural
props such as boulders or fallen logs.

#4 - after that, the focus is going to be on the man made stuff, like the
main base, the huts and the roads.

#5 - after that, the characters like the player, the forest trolls, the
citizens and the bats.

#6 - we might have to do something for effects, like when you cast a
lightning bolt, do your attack, etc.

#6 - success?  onto the FPS portion of the game?

Codewise i'll be followin a similar path and try to keep ahead of the game a
little to try and have solutions for problems before they come up.

Anyhow! What we were thinkin for the logistics of the map is...

* The AI will build in a "tiled" formation on the map, in a similar way to
how they do it on the snes game so it will be a little grid-ish.  The
original game disguised the fact that it was a grid pretty well i think, we
can probly do similar stuff (:

* The area you build on will have to be flat so that the buildings can sit
right on the ground.  The area you DONT build on can be rugged if we want
and all sorts of heights.  If the flat areas where you build look unnatural
and dont fit in, we might be able to do something where the ground elevation
where you build can vary, but it can only change on a "tile border", ie no
height change in the middle of a tile.

* Right now, the character has collision detection on but he flies through
the air.  My thinking is he'll be able to fly over buildings, forests,
rivers and such, but if he runs into a mountain it stops him.  Basically the
mountains are the borders of the map, but also can be used to block the
player on levels if we wanted to.

* On the edges of the map, we'll pad it with impassible mountains so that
when you get to the edges of the map, you can't look off into space.  We'll
have to figure out how big we want everything to be, how big the character
is, how high he is off the ground and how zoomed out the camera is to be
able to figure out how much padding we need.

* If we want to, we can put the mountainous border around the player in such
a way that the map doesn't have to be rectangular.  It can be any shape
since we define the border by usin mountains.

What you guys think, sound pretty decent?