[project1dev] Re: [offtopic] Game theory TOP 5 GAMES

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:36:49 -0500

personally, i was a *huge* fan of the two kotor games (even though the 2nd
is often dismissed as inferior, i thought the "dark side" aspects of the
story were among the best in star wars lore - it actually framed the dark
side in a way that was relate-able and made sense logically, something that
i had hoped the prequel trilogy would do *sigh*) but Mass Effect was a HUGE
let down for me.  I read all the previews and had it pre-ordered and was
totally amped for it when it was released but there were some major flaws
that killed it for me:  basically, in the KOTOR games there was a build up
to becoming a Jedi, you really had to put in your dues and earn it.  When
you finally made it, it felt epic and meaningful.  They tried to do
something similar in Mass Effect w/ the specters (its been awhile, that may
not be the right name) but you became one in the first hour or so of the
game, and even though they tried to make it seem like a huge honor and they
played orchestra music, etc. it felt really hollow... there wasn't enough
background or context to make it seem important and you, the player, did
nothing to justify being bestowed the honor.

I actually thought the real time combat held up ok in Mass Effect also, but
really the game didn't really suck me in the way KOTOR did and i lost
interest after a few hours and never really picked it up again.  Maybe I
didn't give it enough of a shot though because a lot of people I respect
seem into it.

I am also a fan of all 3 fallout games, for different reasons though.  the
first two, basically i agree w/ everything Cid said, but i thought the 3rd
one was great as well, even though it was a completely different style than
the originals.  Fallout 3 was great because i love exploration and finding
stuff and it seemed like every night i could go home, fire up my xbox,
wander into a random direction, and find an interesting
quest/story/situation.  I really hope bethesda learned from fallout 3 and
what made it great compared to oblivion (another massive disappointment,
imo) and make the next elder scrolls game fucking AMAZING.  Oblivion seemed
to have all the pieces in place but the level/treasure system completely
undermined it.

I am a huge fan of square's older games, including ff1, ff4, ff6, ff7 and
chrono trigger.  loved the music and characters and story, ff6 in particular
will always have a special place in my heart.  I realize its trendy now to
bash ff7 but i remember when it came out, it totally blew me away, the
graphics and environments were so great, that game felt like an adventure
from start to finish.

i also really enjoyed the older dragon warriors, the 3rd in particular is
one of my fav games of all time, i liked how you could customize your party
to match your play style.  If you haven't played it and want to, i suggest
the GBC version because of the add-ons they put in, there's a really fun
dice game :) and i love gambling on monster fights.

Another RPG i am really fond of is "Mordor" which is an old windows rpg
where you created as many characters as you wanted (but parties were limited
to 4 at a time) to explore this huge deep labyrinth, if a character died you
had to retrieve their body and pay to get it resurrected, or sometimes
you'd just say "well bon voyage mon ami" and let em go.  There were a ton of
classes you could join and different weapons/armor, you could even capture
beasts and have them in your game.  Mordor was really a neat concept and i'd
love to do an updated version someday (the UI and graphics dont really hold
up anymore).  A somewhat similar game called "Etrian Odyssey" was released
on the DS a couple years ago, it was pretty good but lacked the depth of
customization Mordor had.