[project1dev] Re: octree optimzation for collision detection

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:28:06 -0700

its not your fault.  If the things werent there, it would still be a bug,
but we just wouldnt know about it.

and later on when we found it, i wouldnt know whats causing it.

no worries!

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Kent Petersen <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ah bummer. Sorry to make things complicated for ya
>
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> So i have it working on my comp
>>
>> On the cavemap, calling Model_Move (the function that moves models around
>> with collision detection) used to take .24 milliseconds on average.
>>
>> Now, with the quad tree it takes .09 milliseconds on average so is about
>> 1/3 as costly to move objects around in the world with collision detection
>> (yay).
>>
>> Also with this optomization on, locally here on my machine i'm now getting
>> 100-120 FPS where i used to get about a solid 65  (these numbers are with
>> vsync off, which is the "real fps", vsync caps your FPS to your monitor
>> refresh rate)
>>
>> So i will check it in real soon and hopefully it'll speed things up!
>>
>> The only problem is for some reason, the new peices kent put in aren't
>> falling like they should anymore!
>>
>> i dont know what's up :/
>>
>> so i gotta fix that before i check in, hopefully it'll be an easy fix (:
>>
>
>

Other related posts: