[project1dev] new pirate dice UI

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:44:26 -0400

I have started on the UI but I think we need to work out some kinks in the
game flow before i finalize things...

basically i was trying to think of this game from a multiplayer perspective
and I have a problem w/ the standard raise/call format of poker in relevance
to this game.  Basically the gameplay comes from divulging the type and
combination of dice you have, and since you tell everyone what you have (or
what you're pretending to have) every turn, betting doesn't work in the
conventional way.  Basically I was thinking that rather than escalating the
bets manually as players, I think there should be an "ante" to stay in
whenever it is your turn, so you have the choice of either folding out of
the game or putting in a pre-defined ante, telling everyone what you have
(or are pretending to have) that either beats, or matches the previous
player, or calling the bluff of the previous player.  I realize this is a
slight deviation from the current design but I think it will function much
more cleanly and it makes more sense when put into a game perspective.
 Basically we can have multiple stakes, so there can be a high stakes game
where its 10 gold a round, or a low stakes game where it's 1 gold per round,
etc. or perhaps the amount of ante to stay in per round escalated (i.e. it's
low in the first couple of rounds but when you get into the 5th or 6th round
the stakes get higher making it a riskier thing (and thus more fun!) to
continue or bluff or call a bluff.

Another thing I was thinking about and this was a bit of omission when Alan
and I were trying to remember how we played the game, there was
some publicly displayed amount of dice, either dice that are shared by all
players or maybe each players first 3 dice are displayed, this will give
something for other players to try to judge whether the person is bluffing
or not and to try to calculate the odds.  The game was originally conceived
of as a combination of the liar's dice game on pirates of the carribean and
texas hold'em, so I am pretty sure having that visible dice was part of what
made the game fun and playable.  Sorry it is hard to explain via e-mail
without having dice in front of me but what i mean is this:   we could
either have 3 dice that are shared amongst all players (like the flop in
texas hold'em)

example:

There's 3 public dice, they are rolled once everyone ante's up - let's say a
3, a 6 and a 2 are rolled.  Now the players roll their first 2 hidden dice.
 Player one sees he rolled a 3 and a 4 in his personal hidden dice, and
claims he has a pair of 3's.  The rest of the players can see all he needed
to do was roll one 3 himself in order to get that pair of 3's so he is
probably not bluffing.  The game escalates from there.

likewise the second version could work where every players first 3 dice are
visible to all players, and all subsequence dice rolls are hidden.

The fun part of gambling and playing these games is figuring out the odds,
trying to get lucky on dice rolls and trying to guess if other people are
bluffing.  Part of all three of those things is giving people hints to try
to guess at what the other person REALLY has.  Having the visible dice is
that tantalizing hint. :)

What do you guy's think?