[project1dev] Re: networking pirate dice woes

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:53:58 -0800

"Before the game initilizes it will need connect connect to the game
server."

You'll have to do a game server login before anything else.  That logs into
the central game server with the username and password from the
scripts/config.lua file.

"This will need to check to see if there is a server. If it is there
connect. If not create one."

That's how the chat program works but i think we need to do it differently
for pirate dice.  You should be able to specify whether you want to create a
new game or join an existing one.

If creating a new one it should be real easy just to create the game.

If joining an existing one we'll have to show them a list of games that can
be joined and let them choose (the chat script does this too but it just
joins the first available one).

"The game server will then need to wait for a full game"

I think really you are just waiting on the host to click the "start game"
button, so long as there is more than one player (disable button if there is
no one else in the room?).  You could give the host the option to sit bots
into empty spots if you wanted to, but if that complicates stuff too much
dont even worry about it.

"For this part each player would just do thier thing individually right?"

This is a really good question.  Normally in a networked game, the server is
in charge of all the important stuff because if any of the clients are in
charge of saying what they rolled etc, thats how cheats happen.

In this case, we don't really have a trusted server to do the rolls and
other important stuff.

For now, yeah go ahead and do it that way where everybody does their own
rolls.

Another way to do it would be to make the host do all the rolls for everyone
and send the information to them.  Going this route, the host could be a big
cheater though so it's still not a good solution.  I need to think about
this a lil bit to come up with a better, less cheating prone way to do it.

It should be turn based though where if i act after you act, i shouldnt be
able to bet before you do.

"All of this information would then get sent back to the players."

sounds good yep!

"First player is also blinds so they will need to send that amount to the
server"

or the server enforces blinds, whichever way you want to do it.

Sounds pretty good, lets get it working like you described (:

We'll have to think later about anti cheating stuff but lets get it working
first then worry about making it better afterwords.

Sound ok to you?