[project1dev] Re: neat document on player interaction

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:00:07 -0800

yeah, i think that was the joke hehe (:

you know its weird but i think on resume's, you only get the SHAPE of
someones skillset graph, but you have no sense of scale.

People might say "im really good at topic A but not so great at topic B".
If that person is right out of school, the "really good" is a lot less than
if a 10 year vetran said the same sentence.  Also a veteran's "not so great
at..." line might still make them useable in that area but for a beginner
that means they really wouldnt be useful in that slot.

I think the issue here with being a generalist is...

when you start out in a career, your skillset is all pretty much the same
across the board, and you have no speciality

as you progress forward, you gain a specialty perhaps so then you have a
speciality vs someone who is new and doesn't have a specialty (so in this
case, having a speciality is a sign of some amount of experience)

but, as you go even further, maybe you have specialized in nearly
everything, so you don't really have a specialty again.

Still, when you go into that interview they ask you what your speciality is
and you say "oh i do a little of everything", just like the person just
starting out would say :P

it's a strange thing, i dont know what the answer is.

I just recently have gotten a specialty (animation programming) and i feel
like it makes me more valuable in employer's eyes but im not sure if thats
true or not.