[project1dev] Re: lighting pass

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:16:58 -0700

well a couple of things but the biggest issue is that shadows work in
our game by blending whatever is in a shadow with black (50% mix).

in high lighting that looks ok, but in low lighting its really
obviously bad and makes things too dark.

also, if you shine a light on a shadow in real life it makes that
shadow go away, but with our 50% darkening setup that doesnt happen.

the fix is to make the shadows realistic shadows so all it does is
block light being shined on it, not actually darken whats in the
shadow.

that will make shadows look more realistic and sometimes subtler, it
should look nicer but probably worse preformance ):

but yeah, seems like we'll have to have shadows be a toggle on / off
thing which should make that be ok (: