[project1dev] Re: immersion in games

  • From: Matthew Freeland <mattthefiend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:19:59 -0700

Actually enemies do scale in fallout 3 but the way they went about it was
far more clever than oblivion.

In fallout 3 instead of having randomly generated creatures roaming the land
you have a gigantic pool of pre-defined events. As you get stronger you get
access to bigger events with bigger badguys, but you still run into lots of
small ones too.

Say for instance you're my character who is pretty much an unstoppable force
of nature with the Laser Gatling Cannon of win. Periodically while roaming
the wastes a big ass Enclave Assault team will pop up and try to eviscerate
me with their plasmas. Then after I've torn them a new one, a lone rad
scorpion roaming the wastes decides he wants a piece of me too.

If they set that as a plug-in to oblivion it would be WORLDS better, I agree
with you eric. As well get rid of the stupid equipment leveling system...