[project1dev] Re: immersion in games

  • From: CiD <screamingdazeez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

That's a good goal to strive for when designing.  I believe role playing games
do this best when there are consequences to your choices and actions.  Mass
Effect really nailed this with subtlety by forcing you to deal with every word
you said.  For example: if you threaten someone who is tough as nails and your
skill in that style is not high enough you lose out on the opportunity for a
dozen more dialogue lines and experience points and may even fail the quest (if
it's a minor side quest).

I have played Mirror's Edge.  Although I never felt any emotional attachment to
the game on any level, it was a fun little first person jaunt through the
rooftops of a city.  I never felt like being an achievement whore so I skip out
on a lot of those achievements not built into the game for in game rewards.