[project1dev] Re: how else can I help

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:00:13 -0700

I have a pretty simple coding task for you if you want it.

It's just making it so you can do in script something like:

DefineScriptVolume(100,100,0,50,50,1000,"PlayerEnteredDoor");

That defines an invisible box that sits at 100,100,0 and has extents of
50,50,1000, and when the player enters that area it will call the script
function PlayerEnteredDoor().

That'll be useful for stuff like making switches the player steps on that
makes things happen, or making the ground crumble away behind the player
after they walk over a ledge, stuff like that (:

If you'd rather do something else, you could start prototyping enemies via
the scripting language.

Ie you could make a rat creature that wandered around, or a jelly that
jumped around randomly, or shrug whatever kinda enemies you wanna make.

After some are prototyped we can see what we need to do to make the process
simpler (like making the common parts be part of the engine and just have a
few simple script commands to do the bulk of the work).

What do you think, do either of those sound interesting?

If you wanted to, you could also just mess around builing an area that uses
features we are likely to want in the future (like moving platform,
switches, logic puzzles, flame throwers built into the walls, traps, etc)
and so we can get a head start on those things (: