[project1dev] Re: first things first

  • From: figarus@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:05:05 +0000

good questions kent...

i think the size will really be dictated by the amount of work/effort it takes to get the character creation and first "world" done. If it is easy to create and populate the world, we'll make it bigger, if it is hard - we will go for quality over quantity and focus on doing the best we can w/ what we have. What you envision is in line w/ my thoughts though, re: NPC's being unique and having a purpose rather than just being fodder.

Physical land, i would say we will have to play w/ it. I think this is another answer that will be best reconciled via in game trial ... its hard to say without knowing how the game "feels" - it could be that smaller areas with dense content may feel like more than enough, or maybe we'll feel like we need large rolling landscapes to invoke the proper atmosphere.

I would imagine 1 or 2 small towns per world, and then new towns and combinations, changes, etc when the worlds are smooshed together. My less is more comment was more in reference to quality over quantity and also - when we design things, we should try not to duplicate thing too much, ie one magic wishing well is unique and adds flavor, make a ton of them though and they lose their value.

I know these are sort of vague answers - re: how big the world is, but its hard to say really without knowing how the game will feel. hopefully this first map will give us the information we need and we can design and proceed accordingly.

as far as mythology goes... my only BIG thing is i really really really really (x1000) want to avoid modern fantasy cliche's like orcs, elves, etc. i feel like tolkien has been tapped one too many times - but there are plenty of other sources for inspiration that we can draw from that can provide a lot of cool stuff for us. I like greek mythology, arabic mythology, norse mythology, etc. alice in wonderland, steampunk stuff, conan, fafhrd and the grey mouser, peterpan, old folklore like grimms fairytales, native american legends, tall tales (John Henry FTW) etc

one thing is i would say we can have A minotaur, but not a minotaur race - we want to make a clean distinction between us and WoW :P plus, back on the theme... a minotaur is unique, a race of them loses the mystique. In fact, i would say that about everything fantastical - an elf is fine, a race of elves is fairyland at the northpole w/ legolas - ha ha. seriously, i fucking hate elfs. anyways, i would say it like this ... if we create our own race of creatures, or the race in inspired by either an obscure source OR an ancient myth, we can have MANY of them - im cool w/ goatmen, centaurs, mermaids, mushroom men, as RACES. but if we are going to use something derivative (like something tolkien, WoW, harry potter or other major modern fantasy things) we should limit it to 1. Maybe my brain is broken but even though I HATE ELFS - i think one elf sounds kinda cool, like mysterious, where did it come from? why is it here? what is it doing? Wow and to contradict myself, i think dwarves are ok too or a dwarf is neat too...mythological races will be a case by case thing, maybe, and as we get deeper in the mythology of the game will be further developed and things like this might be answered along the way. I hope this is making some sort of sense...

On Apr 8, 2009 12:31pm, Kent Petersen <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would say design it with porting in mind. Everything that uses the mouse interface should be able to have an analog stick representation. We would also need to keep controls to a maximum of the number of buttons on an XBox controller.

How long will the game take to finish if one was not exploring every detail?

How large of a game will this be? How many NPCs will wander the world? Will there be 100s? 1000s? 10000s? From the description you have given I envision a "smaller" game with 100s of NPCs (or less) each NPC unique with something important to provide to the player. How about physical land space? Will it include many towns or fewer? Just one in each land? I guess what I'm really asking is when you say less is more, how much detail do you want and how large of a game will it be?

If we are creating our own lore, we should have some basic monsters in mind. What kind of Mythological creatues would you like to have? Like Centaurs and Minotaurs or something new we make? Maybe a half otter half man sea creature. Something different entirely?

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:40 AM, eric drewes figarus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yeah man, definitely like the telekenisis idea and it is in line w/ what i had in mind. I pictured a glowing hand that's range was defined by your willpower/skill and could activate switches, grab items, etc. but i really like the potential for physics and stuff. It could be balanced also because i was planning on having items in the game like a whip (or hookshot, etc). well i will address this in the items/eq post but yeah :)

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Chris Riccobono crysalim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is an awesome foundation document. Good job writing this up, Eric. :)

There's so many things to build off of in here. I really like the

telekinesis archetype.. it's a good way to include magic in the game

in a unique way. It'll also be great for storytelling purposes! As

for the control thing, we should definitely think about analog sticks

for later on (which can easily be done with the mouse on the pc)

Legend of Mana on the ps2 had a great system that let you change the

psychics of things after you grabbed them with a whip by using the

analog stick. We could create a skill implementation of that with

telekinesis, where you can grab objects and manipulate them in the

world using the mouse.

Messing with the speed of the movement gave a great sense of gravity

too, so you felt like you were actually throwing something around.

Using randomness here helps too.