[project1dev] difficulty and tweaking

  • From: Chris Riccobono <crysalim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 04:03:15 -0700

So I was reading my usual sites today and I saw that Bionic Commando:
Rearmed got a balance patch from Capcom when they added trophies for
the ps3.  They figured they might as well add some gameplay changes
with the patch, and they actually made the game easier when they
updated it.

They changed things like bouncing off a wall when you grapple, which
normally makes you just fall to your death, but now just makes you
grapple back up.  And they made it so you can respawn where you died,
instead of having to redo the level over.

The game was pretty hard, and it's nice that they added these things
to it to make it more playable.  I hope when our game gets a bit
further we are open to that kind of thing, letting our players have
some input on where things are too tough or annoying to be fun.

I mean, a hard game can be very fun, it just needs to be hard in the
right way.  Also, when there is an easy difficulty to help casual
gamers, you can really start focusing on the way the game plays
instead of just "how to get through it"

So yeah, lets make our game hard in a fun way, but still accessible :)