[project1dev] Re: combat musings - injuries, status, party list, matchups and tagteaming

  • From: Matthew Morgan <MMorgan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:57:22 -0700

I concur.

It would take away the... theres a word for it. Something. Haha.

From: Alan Wolfe
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:54:02 -0700

To: <project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
matchups and tagteaming

that makes sense about the knockout before dying.

About not keeping items that makes sense.

Should they keep exp even then?

If not, we could just do an automatic game save at the spirit node and then
load that when they died.

Can you think of a situation you'll ever want to do that is an exception to the
rule?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM, eric drewes
<figarus@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:figarus@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

turnbased fantasy rpg version of americas army style gameplay  :-P

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

That sounds decent (:

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM, eric drewes
<figarus@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:figarus@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

well i think health would probably work like a hybrid of halo and marvel vs
capcom where you have two health bars, current life and max life, your current
life can go up via auto healing or first aid, but your max life cannot be
restored unless you're in a town.

example:

main character has:
max hp 100
current hp 100

he gets punched, losing life
max hp 90
current hp 70

now he uses first aid, bringing him back up to 90 (100 is truemax, but he
cannot attain that)
max hp 90
current hp 90

this will also influence the strategy of party set up, tagteaming, etc.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hey just thought of something else too...

Eric if you hate the war of attrition we could go the route of the modern games
(or at least try it) like halo where you have hp but it recovers over time
(like when you are in back row or maybe not in combat... or potentially all the
time?)

Not sure if its a good idea, but its an idea :P

lol

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Kent Petersen
<kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I like the FF view better myself.

I'm am curious for the answer to Alan's questions as well.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM, eric drewes
<figarus@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:figarus@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

100% definitely.  either ff style or maybe where its 3rd person over teh
shoulder style.  i think you should be able to see them and with our gameplay
style i think it'll be needed to show whats going on - visually and
mechanically it'll be better.  i was actually gonna bring this up when we got
into more detailed combat stuff :) glad we're on the same page there too.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

BTW what do you think about us changing our battle view from the dragon quest 5
view to the final fantasy view?

I kinda miss being able to see the characters, and see the weapons / attacks
and skills the players use.

I think it makes the combat more epic and fun. Like think of fighting vargas or
ultros where you see his tentacles slap your players, can you remember a fight
like that at all in DQ5? i cant...most of the fights are unmemoriable, except
for the ones where like 10 slimes form into the slime king hehe

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I think switching out your characters could work, that kinda sounds cool and i
can picture it in my head.

When you would switch, would you be able to switch any turn of combat, only the
first, or what?  Also is there a penalty to switching or is it for free?  I'm
just curious cause if one guy was dying you could swap him out with another and
have a fresh guy, is that ok?

If so we could do soemthing like marvel vs capcom i think it was, where the
team mates that are in the back row and not fighting slowly heal their wounds
(in this case they heal a small amount as round time progresses) what you
think?  If that is too overpowered, it could be something like they can only
heal maximum up to the life they had before they got struck in the current
battle.

Being held by one character and attacked by another makes sense.  Maybe its a
skill, and what happens is when you use that skill, the character that used it
has to keep using it each turn to hold onto the monster and that monster
basically struggles each turn where it has some chance to escape but that uses
up it's turn.  Just like real life if you oare outnumbered, grabbing hold of
someone or wrestling around with them wouldnt be a good idea cause his buddies
would kick your butt, but if there is like 1 monster left it could be a cool
skill.  Like havin a guy like sabin be able to grab the last enemy and hold him
while your other guys hit him would be a pretty useful skill (:

About the player never dying, on one hand i could see that working but on the
other, couldnt you just scrape through anyhwere by walking through a dungeon
and getting knocked out at each fight?  How do you balance that out?

Some cool ideas!

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM, eric drewes
<figarus@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:figarus@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

ok here is how i am thinking parties will work in combat...

there will be 3 active party members in any fight and 4 on the sidelines that
can be "tagged in" (swapped) as a combat option for any of the active players
INCLUDING the hero. this will allow you to sub out injured characters for fresh
healthy ones, or if you want two people that can do a special attack, you can
have them sub in to pull of a coup de grace, or maybe there is a MATCHUP you
want to exploit.

Matchups? Huh?

Matchups are basically already existing in games but without anything to
quantify them.  basically, if you're in battle against a big slow ogre or
something, you can adjust your party to better match up w/ the enemy (enemies)
you're fighting.  Maybe you want a big dude that can go mano-y-mano with the
ogre, or a small quick dude who can exploit the ogre's plodding attack and slow
defense.  Maybe you're up against a flying creature and arrows will be the best
way to bring them down when standard attacks seem ineffectual.   Picking the
best match up for what you're going against can mean the difference of life and
death.

Injuries/status - we don't just want fights to be wars of attrition where you
attack attack attack and try to slowly drain your foes life (and vice versa) -
in real life, this would be the equivelent of standing in front of someone and
punching them back and forth until someone died.  Silly!  i think most (if not
all) of us are experienced martial artists and we know fights don't work like
that, there are holds, throws, etc that can put your opponent in compromising
situations that give you the advantage.  Add weapons to this and we have a fun
system that is more dynamic than the typical rpg combat system.  Examples of
this would be sweeps/tackles/throws that leave the enemy prone and thus unable
to defend themselves as well, or entangled via nets, maybe even HELD by one
character while the others beat it up (could we do this)?  or maybe getting
maimed or hamstrung knocks you over, getting stunned (like street fighter when
you do a certain combination the enemy can't move and has birds flying above
their head) is another example.

This style of combat would add a lot of depth and strategy and make combat feel
more "alive" and dangerous and fun.  Also it adds a lot of potential skills and
techniques to our future list

Injuries - with our injury and death system, swapping to keep your team healthy
is important.  This is kind of a big thing but I am sort of leaning towards
thinking maybe MAYBE the hero can't die.  everyone else can, but if the hero is
"knocked out" in battle, he's back after the fight. he can then go forward to
try to find the next respawn node or maybe theres a "Recall" option where you
can revert to the start of the dungeon with all your party members intact.  i
think this will eliminate a lot of frustration as well as prevent people from
keeping the hero on the sidelines worried he will die.

just as a quick guess... i am thinking you get 7 active party members (3
active, 4 tagteamable) and then an additional 7 back at your "home base" that
you can swap out ff style whenever you're there for a total of 14 in your
party.  We will (ideally) have 40-50 recruitable characters so this forces you
to make some decisions on who you want to pick but also gives you a large
stable of characters so you don't feel like "shit, i have to give up one of my
favs".

Just some thoughts... let me know what you think!

This e-mail is the property of Oakley Inc. It is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution
or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.