[project1dev] Re: combat musings - injuries, status, party list, matchups and tagteaming

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:25:31 -0700

I think switching out your characters could work, that kinda sounds cool and
i can picture it in my head.

When you would switch, would you be able to switch any turn of combat, only
the first, or what?  Also is there a penalty to switching or is it for
free?  I'm just curious cause if one guy was dying you could swap him out
with another and have a fresh guy, is that ok?

If so we could do soemthing like marvel vs capcom i think it was, where the
team mates that are in the back row and not fighting slowly heal their
wounds (in this case they heal a small amount as round time progresses) what
you think?  If that is too overpowered, it could be something like they can
only heal maximum up to the life they had before they got struck in the
current battle.

Being held by one character and attacked by another makes sense.  Maybe its
a skill, and what happens is when you use that skill, the character that
used it has to keep using it each turn to hold onto the monster and that
monster basically struggles each turn where it has some chance to escape but
that uses up it's turn.  Just like real life if you oare outnumbered,
grabbing hold of someone or wrestling around with them wouldnt be a good
idea cause his buddies would kick your butt, but if there is like 1 monster
left it could be a cool skill.  Like havin a guy like sabin be able to grab
the last enemy and hold him while your other guys hit him would be a pretty
useful skill (:

About the player never dying, on one hand i could see that working but on
the other, couldnt you just scrape through anyhwere by walking through a
dungeon and getting knocked out at each fight?  How do you balance that out?

Some cool ideas!