[project1dev] character creation stuff

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:10:05 -0400

i need the armored pope mobile for this maybe............

ok, so after long ponderings on this I think i have come to the unfortunate
conclusion that doing character creation through the scenarios will not pan
out as we envision... mostly because the experience we are planning cannot
be reconciled w/ the player's desire to decide what kind of character they
want to be in the game... also, I think in replaying the game, the scenarios
would grow repetitive and tedious, especially if the player doesnt like the
guy that comes out of the process and decides to "reroll".  Basically i
think players will try through the monotonous process of trial and error
until the find the answers and solutions to the scenarios that suits them.

I realize this was one of the founding ideas of the game for me but overall,
i feel like we will have to sacrifice ideas we love occasionally for the
sake of making a fun game.  The other part is, sometimes games can get
overambitious and kill themselves with extras that don't really need to be
there, i think this is one of those things...

don't fret though, i have an awesome replacement system in mind that will
incorporate many of the ideas we had for the scenarios into one area, with a
non-direct approach to making the character while also giving the player
more control.  I also think having the null realm (with the old
man/ringleader/reaper) be the center of the character creation, we can flesh
this place out (i have some awesome ideas and already have concept art in
mind for it... i'll release this info, etc. after milestone 1 is done, i
want to focus on that rather than work on future stuff any further until
this is completed... i've been guilty of going on tangents!) and make it a
really awesome interesting and unique area in the game that will show off
more of the game's style,story, theme and flavor...

just wanted to give everyone a head's up... and of course, comments,
criticism and ideas are welcome and encouraged!