[project1dev] Re: art tasks

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 21:45:39 -0700

Heya Katie,

No problem at all, i converted em real quick.

Here's some more detailed info cause i never really explained any of this
stuff to anybody (my bad)

The engine supports jpg, png, gif (not animated tho), tga, probly some
others.

basically it supports all the file formats you dont need a special program
to view (which is why psd doesnt work).

about image size, all that is needed is that the dimensions have to be a
power of 2 (but the images dont have to be square) so like, these are all
valid dimension sizes:

1
2
4
8
16
32
64
128
256
512
1024

I'm not sure if there is a "too small" number... i'd probly keep it at 8 or
higher though just to be safe....

and for max size i'd be reluctant to go over 1024x1024 too often.  The
larger the image, the more memory is used.

For instance 1024x1024 uses up 4 megabytes of video memory (ie 1024 pixels *
1024 pixels * 32 bit color (4 byte color) = 4MB).

A little bit later we'll have to work out our memory budgets but for now we
dont need to worry about it.

We'll do something like have the game spit out how much memory is used for
each thing (textures, sounds, music, etc) and we'll have a cap like lets say
we have to stay under 50MB of texture memory and under 25MB for sound
effects etc.

But for now we can ignore it, I have no clue what our budgets will be yet,
and even if we port to 360, the 360 has a ton of memory in it so just like
the PC there shouldnt be a huge problem.

When you start developing on the Wii, or the DS, and even the PS3 those
systems have a lot less memory and budgets become a bigger concern.

Anyways... !!

Your mine cart looks great Katie (: