[project1dev] Re: an idea, what do you guys think?

  • From: "eric" <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 01:02:22 +0000

I guess I don't really understand what more you want big picture wise, we have
a general layout overview (some of which you just posted) of the plot and the
way things will develop and we have specifics for the current milestone and
things that need to get done now.  I am ok with going with your option #3 but
unless we somehow get a workflow with accountability and some checks and
balances to make sure things get done, the project will continue to languish
because its TOO laid back and easy to blow off assignments and tasks.  We are
all guilty of this - its just a flaw in the system causing us to sorta lazily
drift.  We've created a poor environment for progress and its turned into a
vicious cycle where every once in awhile ppl try to blame various aspects and
groups or lack of directions, when EVERYTHING we need is there already - all
that's left is to actually do it!

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

#1 - the first half of the game is broken up into chapters of a story while
the second half of the game is more open world free roam play with
exploration (seriously that is going to be my fav part of making the game i
think heheh)

#2 - the story idea is something like you are a disembodied spirit floating
in the void (kind of like an afterlife) and that when you approach the old
man, he gives you a body and sends you into the world of the living to do
his bidding.

#3 - between chapters you can go back to the void area, and as you progress
through the game it unlocks more of the void area, which turns out to be a
carnival type area with minigames and fun stuff like that

#4 - the old man is somehow fighting the gods and in the end you have to
make a decision about which side you are on in "the final battle"

#5 - the 1st (or 0th) chapter is what we are working on now where you float
down as a spirit, talk to the old man who crafts a body for you like you
want it, then you talk to the fortune teller which gives you your stats
based on answers to questions (or you can hack the fortune teller and choose
stats), then you go into the temple which is like an obstacle course to get
you familiar with game controls, then you fight a boss at the end to learn
about combat

#6 - the 2nd chapter happens in a forest and is the first time you go back
to the world of the living but i dont know much more than that

is that about right?

But yeah, the game doesn't have a lot of momentum right now and a lot of
people are waiting on the void to be finished so we can move on and they can
start working again (ie map builders and designers), but i think thats
because we have our milestones right now set up where all art, all building,
scripting, etc is finished like 90-95%.

Since it takes longer to make art than it does to build an area with temp
art and script it, and make it functional, I'm just thinking we should let
the art being finished be decoupled from building more areas.

I think this will help build us some momentum because instead of asking an
artist "hey i need X", an artist will actually be able to see "hey when i
walk into this forest it looks really crappy... if i make better looking
trees, the game will look 50 times better".  Im hoping this before and after
view, of actually being able to see how they affect a game will help inspire
artists to contribute (:

And i guess thirdly, we just have a general lack of momentum or organization
or something.

Like Eric was saying, we made a small push to make sure people had tasks
they could do, but nothing really came of it. (ie just like the thing with
us needing a base skeleton with some basic walking, jumping etc animations).

so it's just difficult trying to figure out how can we make sure the game
gets steady progress forward?  Right now i think our progress has been
something like in the last 3 months we've gotten 1 peice of art? (thank you
Katie!!)  We have like 8 artists or something so its just kind of a bummer
we are moving at such a slow pace ):

Just going at that rate, we'll NEVER finish, so i think our primary problem
is figuring out how we can do better than that.

the 3 options i was saying is...

#1 - we find free / cheap art on the net to use for stuff we don't care
about.  The cooler more interesting things can be focused on then, maybe
that will help?
#2 - the art that we DO make, we should focus on making it as re-useable as
possible so we have less overall art to make.  I think this is a good idea,
but not everything is re-useable of course
#3 - we don't wait for art to be done to move on with building the next
areas.  This would let us flesh out the world with temporary art, and maybe
seeing more of the world, but ugly with temp art, would inspire more people
to want to contribute to make things look ok (:

i really think we should do #3 for sure, that #2 is a good idea, and in fact
i think #1 might have it's own place too (:

but i dunno, im just trying to figure out how we can make progress enough of
this game over time that we can finish it someday (like i'd think 1-2 years
is reasonable, anything more than that is kinda junky... but if people
disagree, we can go with whatever the general concensus is).

Katies idea of having things more organized on paper / documented when we
start an area (and overall) is a really good idea, but we need someone to do
that and take ownership over it you know?

I figure we can try the #3 option and see if it really does inspire anyone
or not, but perhaps some other ideas will come up too.

Ideas welcome if you have any! (: