[project1dev] an idea, what do you guys think?

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:09:36 -0800

Hey so i think one thing we've learned from working on the RPG so far is
that it takes A LOT of art :P

Even with a lot of artists theres just a ton of art to make and art takes
quite a bit of time and effort.

i was thinking of a couple ideas to help with this...

#1 - finding free / cheap 3d models and textures on the net and using them
for things that we don't care alot about (ie furniture perhaps or simple
props and things), that way we spend our "art time" on the things we want
custom which is the cool stuff like bosses and specific items and characters
perhaps?

#2 - we could try to make some efforts to make art re-useable.  This is hard
for the void area since it's very unique, but for the mine we worked on
last, we could have for instance made "generic cave walls" art in a way that
it was re-useable.  When we have a library of re-useable art, building areas
should go quicker cause we already have art assets made.  We have the
ability in game to colorize art programatically so we can recolor and reuse
models as well too.

#3 - we could change our workflow.  Instead of trying to push towards
milestones and have every area 100% done before we move on we could change
it up.  We could just build things up functionally with whatever junky art
we had (ie the temple as is would be fine lol).  As long as things are
working functionally we can move on.  I think if we went a route like this
it would be good to keep a list somewhere of what needed to be done
artistically such as "the temple needs real art and a decoration pass".  The
benefit to going this route would be that we could just keep building areas
and moving the game forward.  It may not look pretty but it should be
playable and it could be made pretty over time.

but hrm, just throwin some ideas out there what do you guys think?  Maybe we
just say "meh" to art quality and get the game built with a whole bunch of
temp / programmer art and worry about making it pretty later on / at our
leisure?

It would be nice to move onto the next area and start getting some story
together and real game play and stuff (: