[project1dev] We have a QA department yay!

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:43:41 -0700

Ok so our game is getting to the point already where having some QA would
help.

In game dev, much like the government, the different departments act kind of
like a balance of power.

Here's a tongue in cheek caricature of the different departments and how
they work together hehehe

Design:
Pros - makes the game BE AWESOME!
Cons - asks for impossible things on a whim then changes their mind when
they see them.

Art:
Pros - makes the game LOOK AWESOME!
Cons - uses up all your RAM budget and CPU time on a single, perfectly
awesome, uber poly count animated model.

Coding:
Pros - makes stuff work
Cons - makes stuff NOT work, tells you everything is impossible, and that
your art takes too much memory and CPU time (hahahah)

QA:
Pros - Ensures that crazy special cases have been thought of, that nothing
is broken, and that things make sense to players who have never seen the
game before.
Cons - wants to do designs job for them

(Kent you as a scripter live in 2 worlds, both in coding and design hehe)

LOL ok so now that I've offended everyone I'd like to announce that Chris R
is going to be our Head of QA! (:

YAY!

We'll probably be grabbing i think like 2 or 3 more testers as time goes on
and he'll be coordinating their efforts to make sure our game isn't buggy
etc.

It's going to be a rough task for this kind of a game but I'm glad he's up
to it.

You rock Chris thanks for taking this on! (: