[project1dev] Re: Urgent: Please Respond

  • From: katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:10:34 -0700 (PDT)

That works for me. I am ready to kick ass and take names.

We are going to finish this game damn it. Alan I know your on board.

=)

katie

From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 9:47 AM

yep just weekly progress reports keeps people in tune and will be a huge help,
and any help as far as organization and clear communication is a huge asset!
:) :) :) I really think it is a vital role to the success of the game

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah totally!  Thanks for doing this Nick, it's something we sorely need!

And I know w/ chris some people asked "what does that guy do, why is he telling
people what to do?"

In a regular game development studio you have a few departments:

#1 - Art : Does modeling, texturing etc obviously!
#2 - Engineering : Does the programming and handles the technical stuff
#3 - Design : Designs systems (like working out how combat should work and
making sure its fun and balanced etc).  Sometimes makes maps, sometimes that's
art's job though, sometimes it's a mixed effort.  Sometimes design also does
scripting, sometimes scripting is it's own department, sometimes it's part of
engineering (Kent is heading up the scripting effort in our game).

#4 - Production : Works with the other departments to make sure there is a
clear schedule laid out, that people have everything they need for their tasks
and that people know what they are supposed to be doing and not having to sit
around and wait for someone else (for features etc).

#5 - Business : the business side of everything

So anyhow, Chris was our first producer and did a good job of keeping those
weekly emails going to show what had been accomplished and things like that.

After Chris left we didn't really have anyone to fill that role, but Nick has
stepped up and wants to take it on (thanks Nick!) so that's what he'll be doing.

Producers aren't there to be the boss of everything so don't worry about that,
they are there to make sure things are organized and honestly, they are there
to help YOU out if you need anything.

If ever you aren't sure what you should be doing, you need more information,
you have any questions or problems with anything, let Nick know and he'll get
you what you need, or work with the necessary people to fix whatever problem
there may be.

Last time we didn't really explain Chris's role very well so I wanted to
explain it this time so you guys understood how a producer fits into the
overall picture of things.

Any questions or concerns you can talk to Nick or whomever you feel most
comfortable with (:

But again, thank you Nick for taking this on.  I know you are a busy guy
starting a new job soon and that this is no small task!!

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 6:01 AM, eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nick I just emailed you my stuff last night, if you have any questions or need
more information, please let me know!  great post, and really happy to have you
as our new production manager! :)

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Nick Klotz <roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently been given the honor of being the new Production Manager for
ProjectDev.  As we know things have been trudging along slowly but surely, and
there is progress being made, and for that I commend and thank you all for your
efforts so far.  However, if we ever want to have this game finished and
ported, before Duke Nukem Forever, all of us as a team are going to have to
collaborate and work together a bit more closely.   I strongly believe that we
can all improve upon what we've been doing, without extra tedious effort or
tearing in to our personal time, through communication and understanding.
 Understanding our roles, what is expected of us, and what we expect from
others; whether it be a prop for a level, concept art, a texture, or script.

What I would like from everybody who is still interested in seeing ProjectDev
succeed, is a response.  In this response, I would like you to help me
understand what you as an individual are working on, believe your working on,
think you could be working on, what you expect to be doing, and what you expect
others to do.  If possible, I would also like each person to tell me what
improvements they think could be made, could be anything from coding, to
scripting, to how we've been emailing, or updating the wiki, anything at all.
 Hopefully from this, we will be able to get everybody back together and back
on track, and fill in the darker areas that are holding us up!

I prefer if everybody emails me individually on this matter, so I can get all
of the information together and organized before releasing any information or
insights.

Thank you,
Nicholas Conan Klotz.