[project1dev] Re: Update for Biobeastie Texure

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:21:59 -0800

Yeah thats an issue having multiple saves too, that really kills a lot of
avenues i was thinkin about.

Kent - i like your idea about the bank system.  how would you handle
alternate saves though? (ie save a game in 2 slots and open a bank with one,
and use the bank from the other save, effectively doubling your money).

I like your idea about the online and offline mode of play Larv.  Online
only play could still suffer from people messing with memory while the game
is running but like you said no security is perfect :P

To make it so the offline players could still do online stuff (in their own
realm) we could maybe do something like have pure vs dirtied accounts too
and never let one group come into contact with another.

Pure accounts would save / load from the server alone, never from HD so
would never have the problem of branching due to no internet.

However, whenever you save even as a pure account it saves it locally as
well so that if ever you dont have internet access you can still play, but
if you do it will flag your data as "dirtied" (so that if you save, your
save is marked as contaminated).  We'd have to put up a little warning to
players about that when this occured to verify thats what they want to do.

Dirtied players can only play against dirtied players, pure can only play
against pure and pure is more secure / cheat free.

Of course, someone could edit their save game file or edit the game's memory
while running to turn off that dirtied flag to mark themselves as pure again
so thats not even a 100% solution, but maybe it's better than nothing?

I dunno though because a small number of cheaters can ruin things a much
larger number of people so if only a couple cheaters make it through, it can
still be a problem.

::shrug:: :/